BUFFALO RIVER WATERSHED OF THE RED RIVER OF THE NORTH


Ron and Lyn Crete
Blue Moon Farm
Callaway, Minnesota

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mouse Prayer

I am the mouse you watch for
Great White Owl posted above
Snow filled plain against dulled blue sky.
I am the image of your search
As you are the purpose of my senses.
Your radial burst eye disks
Can you see me here in sweetgrass snow-covered?
I cannot see you pepper-flecked
White stillness perched.
Yet, you seek me as I avoid you.
Shall I spoil my position,
Run my tunnels out of this cover
Appearing on your sky-grayed
Table? Should I appeal to your
Audio sensors off-spaced to detect
My lightest sounds here below?

As I am your quest
You are my watchman. We compliment
You and I, like a musician's tuning fork.
One harmonious sound when stroked.
We make championships of our being.
In a moment we are one time
In your silent grappled grasp.

And if you were made to roar
You would bring down the clouds
Upon our table and smother the earth
In the triumph of ageless whittling.

The Earth's coalesced matter
Fired by the combustion of the sun
Has made us time beings. Our song
Is one with all melodies;
Made strong by the great chorus.
I am here for your being
As you exist for my I-ness.
If you take me I am completed.
When I let myself go you are entire.
Together we ripple Energy’s form
Not changing matter.

Don’t move while I reposition
From being long still in this cold
Winter's discontent.
Is that your tattooed breast
Above the merciful talons for my taking?
There, I am intent again
Living on beneath your unsettling.
Mis-take! Your repositioning
Opposed my blink. Comfort
Has given you away and I am taunt again.

Today it is a draw.
Not my success.
Not your failure.
I will not stray far.
The cover is good here and I have no wings.
You have miles to go
On Sun's angled rise.
The snow that covers me
Goes with you to your tundra plain.

Do not look for me next year.
I will leave others
To dodge your aim for their being.
I will be made sacred by the weasel,
Horned owl or rough-legged hawk.
I am many.
My generations have honed tooth and talon
And come from one or another.
You will die of old age or accidents of man.
Or careless;
Your white spirit takes you from the brood.

We are more for meeting today,
In the loop now, if you will.
Be.
Sense.
Respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment